The purpose of this qualification is to give learners the skills to support colleagues with mental health problems. These skills will be gained by increasing the learner’s knowledge and understanding of mental health conditions and the principles of mental health first aid and how this can be implemented in the workplace.
Our distance learning courses are completed online, so there is no need for any personal attendance in college, however you can always attend college if you feel you need this.
You will complete assessments by answering questions and submitting them to your tutor via the online learning platform.
You will be given full written feedback on your assessments within 5 working days.
Your tutor is available by email, or Mobile Phone during office hours if you need support with your studies.
To study the courses, you need to have a suitable device such as a laptop, a desktop computer, or a tablet such as an iPad. You also need access to the internet.
Please note: It is not possible to complete the courses on a mobile phone as they are not compatible with our learning platform.
On successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate from NCFE awarding body, confirming your achievement.
Distance / Online
To be awarded this qualification, learners are required to successfully achieve 3 mandatory units.
Units covered are:
- Exploring Mental Health (A/617/8261)
- Understand How to Support Individuals with Mental Ill Health (K/617/8269)
- Understand a Mentally Healthy Environment (D/617/8270)
This is a knowledge-based qualification which is internally assessed and externally moderated by NCFE.
To meet the standards, you will complete the online assessment with either a pass or resubmit.
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification, however you must:
- Currently live in England
- Resident in the UK/EU for 3+ years, for purposes other than study
- be aged 19+
- Not be on an apprenticeship
On successful completion of the Mental health first aid and advocacy course level 2 course, learners could progress to:
- Level 2 and 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Level 2 Award in Awareness of Dementia
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Working in the Health Sector
- Level 2 and 3 Certificate in the Principles of End-of-Life Care
- Level 3 Certificate in Stroke Care Management
- Intermediate and Advanced Apprenticeships in Health and Social Care
Course Career Prospects
The Level 2 course in Mental Health First Aid and Mental Health Advocacy in the Workplace can be applied in future career paths such as;
- Mental Health Nurse (£25,654 to £45,838)
- Health Promotion Specialist (£21,000 to £40,000)
- Human Resources Officer (£15,000 to £50,000)
Depending on your situation, you may be able to access a range of financial support available.