The aim of this qualification is to increase the learner’s knowledge and awareness of children and young people’s mental health.
Around 1 in 10 children and young people are affected by mental health problems, so it’s important that people working with them have a good understanding of mental health. If you want to learn about mental health issues to support children and young people that you work with, or those you care for in your own life, this level 2 course is perfect for you.
Our fully online course will teach you about supporting children and young people’s mental health and emotional well-being. You will learn about issues facing children and young people like depression, anxiety, and conduct disorder, as well as factors that affect their mental health and the impact mental health problems can have on them and their lives.
Our distance learning courses are completed online, so there is no need for any personal attendance in college, however you can always attend college if you feel you need this.
You will complete assessments by answering questions and submitting them to your tutor via the online learning platform.
You will be given full written feedback on your assessments within 5 working days.
Your tutor is available by email, or Mobile Phone during office hours if you need support with your studies.
To study the courses, you need to have a suitable device such as a laptop, a desktop computer or a tablet such as an iPad. You also need access to the internet.
Please note: It is not possible to complete the courses on a mobile phone as they are not compatible with our learning platform.
On successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate from NCFE awarding body, confirming your achievement.
Distance / Online
In order to achieve this qualification, you need to achieve all 5 units.
Units covered are:
- Understand children and young people’s mental health in context
- Understand factors which may affect children and young people’s mental health
- Understand children and young people’s mental health concerns
- Understand the impact of children and young people’s mental health concerns
- Understand how to support children and young people with mental health concerns
Portfolio of Evidence
This qualification is internally assessed and internally quality assured by Centre staff and externally quality assured by NCFE External Quality Assurance Consultants (EQACs).
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification, however you must:
- Currently live in England
- Resident in the UK/EU for 3+ years, for purposes other than study
- be aged 19+
- Not be on an apprenticeship
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to:
- Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health
- Level 3 Award in the Awareness of the Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young people’s Workforce (England)
- Level 3 Award/Certificate/Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
Level 2 Course in Understanding Children and Young People’s Mental Health will give you the kickstart you need to get into careers in Childcare, or Health and Social Care. This would be particularly useful for job roles such as;
- Health Play Specialist (£20,329 to £31,533)
- Teaching Assistant (£11,500 to £23,000)
- Social Work Assistant (£12,500 to £25,000)
Depending on your situation, you may be able to access a range of financial support available.