The UAL Diploma in Creative Media Production (Games Development) is a one year course designed to introduce you to the skills needed to become a professional Computer Games Developer.
You will learn to design and conceptualise 3D models and virtual game worlds, learn to plan time and resource to facilitate the production, work as part of small creative teams to deliver a 3D playable demo of your initial idea.
The course will consist of practical and theoretical units, which will provide learners with the opportunity to expand their horizons with the field of Games Development. This course will cover the process of designing game systems that facilitate interactions between players and game worlds, it will involve writing and developing game concepts along with setting up game systems, mechanics and rules within industry led software packages and suites.
As a Games Design and Interactions specialist course the focus is about creating working prototypes of games and understanding the theory behind the key concepts of designing functional games and mechanics, some of the topics studied during the course are as follows:
- Gaming history – The development of creation process, theoretics
- Gaming culture – universal gaming systems, learning board games
- Game engines – game engine tutoring and exploration of industry led game engines Unreal 4, Unity 5 and Autodesk Stingray
- 3D graphics – producing 3d assets with software such as Autodesk Maya, MudBox and pixologic Zbrush
- Level Design – Creation of interactive game level concepts, incorporating player interactions, interfaces and core game mechanics
- Prototyping games – the creation and development of a concept or idea into a realised
- Game Design based projects – The creation of 2D & 3D game prototypes exploring interactive elements and coding languages such as C#
- or First Diploma in Creative Media Production Level 2 at Merit
- All applicants must complete an initial assessment in Maths and English and attend an interview
- All students will need to present a portfolio of art work at interview.
Depending on your situation, you may be able to access a range of financial support available.
We do not currently have fee information available for this course. Please contact us for further information.
Apply or enquire about this course
Please use the following links to make an application or enquiry about this course.
Information for EU Students
From January 2021, how you apply for a course will change. For more information, read the UK Government's guide for the UK points-based immigration system for EU students (pdf).
Visit our International pages for more information and contact details