This course is a great opportunity for those who wish to achieve a grade 4 (grade C equivalent) or above in English Language.
- English qualification recognised by employers and universities.
- The course covers a wide range of in depth reading and writing skills.
- Assessment is by two exams in June. There is no coursework.
- A range of daytime and evening classes delivered by highly qualified, experienced lecturers.
- You will attend one, three-hour class per week excluding holidays and half terms.
1 year part-time
“The course is delivered over 30 weeks with one, three-hour session per week. Final assessment will take place in June. You will sit two exam papers which will assess the six assessment objectives that you will have studied across the year.
Paper 1: Fiction and Imaginative Writing (1 hour 45 minutes):
- Section A – Reading: 4 questions on an unseen 19th-century fiction extract (24 marks)
- Section B – Writing: a choice of two descriptive writing tasks. The tasks are linked by a theme to the reading extract (40 marks)
Paper 2: Non-Fiction and Transactional Writing (2 hours):
- Section A – Reading: 8 questions on two thematically linked, unseen non-fiction extracts (56 marks)
- Section B – Writing: a choice of two writing tasks. The tasks are linked by a theme to the reading extracts (40 marks)
There will also be an assessed speaking and listening task where you will be required to prepare and deliver a short presentation.
Applicants will be expected to complete a diagnostic assessment as well as two written tasks which will test their reading and writing skills. This will be followed by an interview. Those candidates not currently at the required entry level for GCSE will be offered other programmes of study which will prepare them for entry at a later date.
Depending on your situation, you may be able to access a range of financial support available.