This course will equip learners with a detailed understanding of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), including equality and diversity in the context of SEND and legislation and guidance that helps promote this. Learners will also look at how a person-centred approach can benefit individuals living with SEND, how SEND conditions can affect learning and how to support those living with SEND and their families.
The purpose of this qualification is to develop knowledge of special educational needs and disabilities, how individuals with SEND are impacted on a day-to-day basis, and how to support them to live independent and fulfilling lives. This qualification is designed for learners who are currently in a role related to SEND or for those who are considering entering into the sector.
Distance / Online
In order for you to gain your full certificate, you need to achieve all 5 mandatory units
- Introduction to special educational needs and disability
- Living with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- Principles of promoting person centred approach for individuals with SEND
- Understand Equality and Diversity in context of SEND
- Understanding SEND and learning
Portfolio of Evidence
This qualification is internally assessed and internally quality assured by Centre staff and externally quality assured by NCFE External Quality Assurance Consultants (EQACs).
There are no specific entry requirements however learners should have a minimum of level two in literacy and numeracy or equivalent.
The recommended minimum age for this qualification is 16 years and above.
Successful learners can progress to other qualifications such as:
- Level 3 Award for Special Educational Needs Coordinators in Early Years Settings
- Level 3 Award in the Principles of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (RQF)
- Level 3 Award in the Role of the Special Educational Needs Coordinator in Private, Voluntary and Independent Early Years Settings
- Level 4 Certificate in Supporting the Learning of Learners with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
- Level 4 Award in Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Leadership and Management in the Early Years
Depending on your situation, you may be able to access a range of financial support available.