Modern medicines are powerful substances that are beneficial to millions of people worldwide. However, excessive use or handling of these substances can cause severe, or even fatal consequences.
Knowledge of the safe handling of medicines is essential for anyone who works with medication. The purpose of the qualification is to develop learners’ knowledge and understanding of how to administer, store, dispose of and process medicines safely, and provide learners with an understanding of medication and prescriptions.
Our distance learning courses are completed online, so there is no need for any personal attendance in college, however you can always attend college if you feel you need this.
You will complete assessments by answering questions and submitting them to your tutor via the online learning platform.
You will be given full written feedback on your assessments within 5 working days.
Your tutor is available by email, or Mobile Phone during office hours if you need support with your studies.
To study the courses, you need to have a suitable device such as a laptop, a desktop computer, or a tablet such as an iPad. You also need access to the internet.
Please note: It is not possible to complete the courses on a mobile phone as they are not compatible with our learning platform.
On successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate from TQUK awarding body, confirming your achievement.
Distance / Online
To achieve this qualification, you need to achieve all 4 units.
- Legislation, guidance and audit processes for medication in health and social care settings (K/616/9930)
- Logistical aspects of handling medication (T/616/9929)
- Understand how to administer and support individuals to self-administer medication (M/616/9928)
- Understand Medication (M/616/9931)
Portfolio of Evidence
This qualification is internally assessed and internally quality assured by Centre staff and externally quality assured by NCFE External Quality Assurance Consultants (EQACs).
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification, however you must:
- Currently live in England
- Resident in the UK/EU for 3+ years, for purposes other than study
- be aged 19+
- Not be on an apprenticeship
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to:
- Level 2 Diploma in Care
- Level 3 Certificate in Adult Care
- Level 3 Diploma in Health care support
Course Career Prospects
This course is ideal for someone looking to or is already working in a variety of sectors, like healthcare, or social care.
- Social Work assistant (£12,500 to £25,000)
- Social care work (£13,500 to £25,000)
- Medical Secretary (£17,500 to £24,000)
Depending on your situation, you may be able to access a range of financial support available.